Tuesday, August 01, 2006

On Saturday there was an accident at work. I was not working at the time but I heard about on Sunday when I went in. The girl that I had been training a couple of weeks ago got injured on another machine. She had only been working at Scott Paper for 20 days. She had climbed up a ladder to unjam some packages from a conveyor. As she was climbing down she lost her balance and grabbed a guard to stop herself from falling. From what I understand this was a guard over some machinery that is supposed to protect people from injury. I think that it must not have been put together properly. She grabbed onto it and put her hand right inside. She ended up losing her ring finger from the second knuckle up and she damaged her middle and index fingers. The chain that was inside the guard either came off or broke so she was actually lucky that the damage was not even worse.
I just keep thinking about what she must be going through right now and how she must be feeling. She is only 19 years old. She was loving working at Scott Paper and planned to stay there for life. This injury is likely going to drastically change her life.
Needless to say they have fixed the guard so that there is no way that such an injury could happen again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home