Tuesday, July 18, 2006

More on Baptism

I've just been reading from the book about baptism that I took from the church when Evan was baptised. Most of what I have been reading is very similar to what the protestant churches say and do when dedicating a child. It almost seems like the only difference is the actual baptism. The following are some of what is said before the baptism:
"By the mystery of your death and resurrection, bathe this child in light, give him the new life of baptism and welcome him into your holy Church. Through baptism and confirmation, make him your faithful follower and a witness to your gospel. Lead him by a holy life to the joys of God's kingdom. Make the lives of his parents and godparents examples of faith to inspire this child. Keep his family always in your love. Renew the grace of our baptism in each one of us. (Then everyone is supposed to ask Mary, John the Baptist, Joseph, Peter, Paul and all holy men and women to pray for them. This is something that I don't necessarily agree with but maybe I just don't understand it either.) Almighty and ever-living God, you sent your only Son into the world to cast out the power of Satan, spirit of evil, to rescue man from the kingdom of darkness, and bring him into the splendor of your kingdom of light. We pray from this child: set him free from original sin, make him a temple of your glory, and send your Holy Spirit to dwell with him. We ask this through Christ our Lord. We anoint you witht the oil of salvation in the name of Christ our Savior; may he strenghthen you with his power, who lives and reigns for ever and ever. May you have strength in the power of Christ our Savior, who lives and reigns for ever and ever. (Then there is the blessing and invocation of God over Baptismal Water) Dear parents and godparents: You have come here to present this child for baptism. By water and the Holy Spirit he is to receive the gift of new life from God, who is love. On your part, you must make it your constant care to bring him up in the practice of the faith. See that the divine life which God gives him is kept safe from the poison of sin, to grow always stronger in his heart. If your faith makes you ready to accept this responsibilty, renew now the vows of your own baptism. Reject sin; profess your faith in Christ Jesus. This is the faith of the Church. This is the faith in which this child is about to be baptized. Do you reject Satan? And all his works? And all his empty promises? Then is basically goes through parts of the Apostles Creed (or Nicene, I'm not sure which one is which) and asks if the parents and godparents believe in what it says. And then they baptize the baby.
There is more to it than all this but this part is the part that I found the most powerful and that I personally agree with. The beginning of the book talks about how baptism is our birth as Christians. So really what better time to be born as a Christian than when your a baby. I agree with Amy's comment below that we aren't necessarily going to hell if we're not baptised and I also believe that not everyone that has been baptised is necessarily saved from going to hell. I think that everyone that believes and is a Christian (or Catholic) should be baptised. We are told to do so and if we are disobedient in this area of our lives we will likely be in others too. I think that the important thing is that baptism is the demonstration of our birth as Christians so we should be doing a lot of growing afterwards. I think that there will be a lot of spiritual warfare going on in the lives of anyone who has been baptized (as well as people that aren't but likely more-so as the newly baptized people will be more of a danger or threat to Satan). I think that Satan will be doing everything in his power to prevent people from growing in their relationship with Christ and that anyone who decides to get baptized should be prepared to do a lot of fighting against his ways of preventing their growth. We should all be praying for those we know who have been baptized. Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

At 2006-07-18, 11:56 p.m., Blogger Team McCropp said...

Well, here are my thoughts on the baptism topic. I believe that in having Evan baptized he is born into god's church. It is also a means for me to commit to raising him in the faith. From what I understand, a catholic baptism is to dedication as confirmation is to a protestant baptism. Confirmation is a "mature christian commitment and a deepening of baptismal gifts". This can be done as young as seven since that is considered to be the age of reason but can be done as an adult as well. It marks the beginning of a journey toward a deeper relationship with god. The initiation sacraments of the catholic church represent birth, breath and nourishment. Confirmation gives us the gifts of the holy spirit, the breath of christian life and the eucharist provides the nourishment of our christian life. So, I believe infant baptism to be just the first step, the "birth" of my son's journey with god.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home