What should I have done?
Yesterday I went to Walmart to pick up a couple things which they didn't have so instead I came out with 1 thing that I actually needed and 2 that I didn't. But on my way in there was a man who started talking to me. There were lots of people around so I was a little confused as to why he would single me out as others were closer to him. I had trouble hearing him but eventually understood that he was asking for money. He said that he was hungry and needed money for food and that he had 50 cents that he could give me back (I couldn't hear what amount he asked for). I was kind of confused and I really didn't know how to respond. It made me uncomfortable that there were other people around as well and it just seemed like it would be awkward for me to stop. My money is also in my purse in my wallet which is difficult to get out and to get to so it would have been a bit of a process for me to give him any money. I ended up just telling him that I could not give him anything at that time and then I walked into the store. But I felt awful. What if he really was starving and I had just let my discomfort stop me from helping someone who really needed it. I'm wishing now that I had taken the time and given him the money. On my way out of the store I had money in my hand to give to him if he was still there but he wasn't. I haven't spent much time living anywhere where it is common for people to ask me for money. So, when the situation occurs I'm never prepared and I don't know how to respond. Over the past year or two I've been exposed to this type of thing a bit more and it has got me thinking. I have seen people that are very comfortable with giving money to people on the street and I've been impressed with that. But I wonder what do most people do. How do most people respond in a situation like I was in yesterday? I think that if I carried change around in my pocket it would be easier as I could just pull out a loonie or toonie without any hassle. I don't want to be someone who just walks past without looking at someone and who treats others like they are not even people. At the same time if I can't be sure that the money is going to food instead of drugs or something then should I really be giving anything? But maybe that shouldn't be my concern, if someone is asking for help I should do what I can at the time. I really don't know. Anyone have any thoughts and insight?

3 Comments:
I know exactly how you feel. I would have done the same. Unfortunately, we have seen the bad side of things so often that we feel we have to protect ourselves. If you had taken out your wallet, he may have grabbed it and ran. Who knows? If we knew everyone's story, then of course we would know what to do. But knowing the kind heart that you have, I am sure you give often in ways that you are comfortable with because that's the girl you are. My girl!
Many people say it is better to give to organizations that help people in these situations. Helps keep your money from people who are really not in need. A friend of ours got hit by the same woman twice, same story both times...stuck losther money, needed bus fare. He gave it to her the first time not knowing if she was in need or not, but the 2nd time told her to find someone else as she had 'gotten him' last time. She just smiled and walked off. Sometimes I give sometimes I don't but honestly I don't feel better when I do cause I'm always wondering if they were pulling a fast one on me. I also don't feel great when I don't cause I want to give and not suspect. An age old dilemma I am sure. Times I feel best is when I go and actually get them a sandwich or by a bus ticket for them instead of just handing over money, but then I am a controller!
love ya Kristy, wish we could see you. A trip to Europe sounds like a grand idea for you! Do it :)
Sara
Kristy: I started writing something on here, but it was kind of long, so I decided to put a post on my own blog about the same subject. You can read it there, if you want.
And Europe sounds awesome! I'll be so jealous if you go!
Thanks for the bday spotlight on your blog. I'm going to have to scan some pictures of you, me and Sara and email them to you, so you actually have some better ones!
A.
Post a Comment
<< Home