Grumpy People Suck
I didn't have the best night at work last night. I thought that it would be okay because I felt great and was in a good mood. I had slept for 9 hours yesterday! I woke up several times during those 9 hrs but it still felt great to sleep so long. But the guy that I was working with must not have slept for 9 hours because he was not fun to be around. I think that he was trying but just couldn't deal with the problems that were occuring with the machines. When we first started he blamed everything on the previous operator from the shift before us. Then after a couple hours he began to blame the other packer (there are two of us packers and we switch machines every 1/2 hr) for anything that went wrong. But at 10:30 she went home and a new packer came. So then I found out that he was blaming me for all the problems. He also can never seem to understand when I'm supposed to take my breaks. At 11:30 he was cleaning a machine so I tried to find other stuff to do while he was busy and the machines were down. When he was done he asked me why I didn't take my lunch break at 11:30. I told him that my next break wasn't scheduled until 1:00. He didn't seem very happy about that. Then at 1:00 he was confused because he thought that I was going for my break at 1:30. At that point I told him when the other two breaks would be as well just to avoid any future confusion. But I could tell that he had already stopped listening to me. At 3:30 I went for my lunch break (1/2 hr, the other breaks are 15min). When I got back he was upset because he had thought that I was gone too long. I briefly explained to him that it was my 1/2hr lunch break but I think that he was too grumpy to listen at that point too. So after that I basically just tried to avoid him. But I had to tell him when there was a problem so it was difficult. At one point when the machine was causing problems he looked at it and then walked past me and angrily hit the emergency stop button on my machine to turn it off (turning it off that quickly could cause more problems). He then went and sat down for probably 20 minutes. It was quite an unpleasant situation to be in. It kind of made me laugh too though because I was thinking about how immature and childlike he was being. It was like he was giving himself a time out. When the other packer came back over she eventually went and talked to him and convinced him to call a mechanic to look at the machine. So, needless to say I was glad when the night was over and I was able to go home.
I'm starting to realize that I don't like working with people. For most of my jobs I've been on my own a lot and haven't had to deal with other people so much. When I have worked with people in the past though it has never been a problem. But there are two operators on that particular machine that I've not enjoyed working with now. Maybe it's just because the machine is never working well and they can't handle the stress. But the machine never works well so it shouldn't be a surprise to them.
I went to check out a horse today that I will be starting for some people. I am going to start working with it on Saturday. It is out in east Maple Ridge. It's a bit far of a drive but I figure the money that I make working with it will pay for my gas money to go see Brig. I don't think that it will take long to get the horse going otherwise I probably wouldn't have agreed to do it. I don't really have much extra time right now and it really is out of the way for me. If after Saturday I don't think that I can get the horse started and doing well enough for them to ride within a month I don't think that I will bother as it's not worth it to me. But if I do get it going then I'm hoping that this will provide other opportunities for me in the future. I would like to start building up a bit of a reputation in this area.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home