Cat Food
One of the brands of cat food that was recalled due to kidney failure deaths happened to be what I feed Winston. He gets free choice dry food but he also gets 1/2 a can of wet food in the mornings. The wet food was the stuff that was recalled. So I stopped feeding it to him. I was quite happy to stop since he was getting into a bad habit of waking me up at 4 or 5 every morning so that I would get up and feed him. Of course I wouldn't get up and so he would keep me awake for hours. I had 11 cans of wet food from one store that I had to return. I didn't have the receipt but I didn't think that it would be a problem. When I tried to return the food the girl asked me when I had bought the food. I told her I wasn't sure but that it was about a month ago. She then told me that it was probably fine. So I asked when the recall had been. She said that it was three weeks ago. Does that not seem wrong to anyone but me? I thought that maybe I'd bought the food 4 weeks ago but wasnt' sure exactly when and she didn't want to return it because it was probably fine, the recall was 3 weeks ago, not 4! Well, I certainly was not going to take a chance. She did end up returning it for me but I still can't believe that she even attempted to get me to keep it and feed it. So, Winston is no longer getting wet food and I'm not planning to start him on it again. I have also decided to switch to a different brand of dry food. The dry food that I use is the same brand but was not part of the recall. But the way I see things, if they are so careless in the making of wet food and in what is put into their product I don't want to take any chances that the same thing will one day happen with the dry food. Even if it's made by a different company the standards are obviously not high enough. So as of today I have started switching Winston over to a new dry food. The food is human grade. It costs only a couple dollars more than what I was feeding and they deliver it right to the house. There are no additives, fillers or preservatives. Exactly my kind of thing. Winston seems to like it so far too. I think that he thought that it was a new kind of treat.
I am starting to feel an increased need to decide what I'm going to do with my life career-wise. Every once in a while I feel just a little panicked that I will never leave Scott Paper and that I'll be doing what I do now for the rest of my life. I'm sure that eventually I'll get sick of doing so much reading every day. The real problem is I really don't know what I want to do instead. I've already started and quit two different college programs in the past. Although the second time I really would have liked to continue. I just couldn't justify spending the money unless I could have confidence that I would end up in a decent paying job. I don't want to start something again and not finish. I also really don't want to sell Brig. I keep making all kinds of plans in my head about all that I will do with him. I have plans for years from now with him. I can't keep Brig and go back to school. He costs too much. It will be a huge decision for me to sacrifice my riding for school and a career. I finally have a horse that has some potential and that is at an age where I can start doing something with him. How can I give that up? I imagine that it'd be easier if I actually had a career in mind that I felt suited me and that would pay well. But since I don't it seems that what I'd be losing would be more than what I'd gain. But at the same time I know that I can't stay where I am forever. I wouldn't be happy. It's really just not my thing. Some days are better than others but it's getting harder to go to work every day. It's pretty sad when the fire alarm goes off and it makes me hopeful that maybe we'll have to evacuate the building. The alarm goes off somewhat regularly but rarely do we have to evacuate. The other night one of the guys accidently pulled the alarm for the saw at the machine I was working on. It was great! I didn't know what had happened but it looked like there was smoke coming out of the enclosure because the CO2 tanks atomatically try to put out the 'fire'. The machine ended up being down for hours. That part actually wasn't so great because then there was less to do than usual and so we had to try to find things to do. I hate trying to find work or 'look busy' as we're always told to do in case a foreman comes by. I'd rather be given work to do. Tonight went by fast for me. The guy that I was working with always tries to train me to do his job on the machines. He figures that if he trains me now then if I ever get trained for real I will learn it really quickly. He also figures that I will be a good operator and so he tells the foreman that I should be trained as an operator. Apparently I will be trained in May on two or possibly four of the other machines. I kind of hope so because it makes the time go by quicker and maybe one of the other jobs won't be so boring. But as far as I can tell, all the jobs are boring once you know what you're doing.
I was thinking today while I was waiting for Winston's food to be delivered that maybe I could find a high paying delivery job. I love driving. I'm not the type of person that just goes for a drive for the sake of driving but I thouroughly enjoy my time spent in my car. I don't think that I would want to drive for hours at a time but doing many deliveries a day like I did with MAC in Alberta would be nice for a while. Even when I was driving all day every day for MAC I still didn't get sick of driving. Except maybe on Drumheller days. But that was because it was more steady driving with less stops and it was always a long day. We usually worked 12 hr days on Drum days and about 4 hrs of that was steady driving. But despite the fact that I enjoy driving and doing deliveries it's still not something that I would probably want to do for the rest of my life. I need to feel that my job has a purpose. That I'm making a difference somehow.

1 Comments:
Maybe you could deliver donated organs. That would be a job with a purpose.
Post a Comment
<< Home