People are strange.
It seems like almost every day I see something on my travels that makes me laugh. People are sooo strange. One example from a couple of weeks ago is when I saw an oriental couple who were probably in their sixties doing meditation type moves while waiting at the bus stop. It made me laugh. And I see things like that all the time. I'll have to try and remember the things that I see from now on. I can't think of any other ones right now but there are lots.
Of course I was the one getting laughed at by everyone last Sunday. I park my car underneath a beautiful cherry blossom tree. The problem is that when it rains all the flower petals fall off of the tree and stick to my wet car. It ends up being completely covered in them. It looks like someone came and decorated it during the night. Almost like for a wedding or something. Well I probably should brush them off when this happens but I don't. I just get in my car, turn on my windshield wipers so that I can see and go on my way. On Sunday I drove to church in my flower covered car. As I was driving I kept seeing people looking at my car and laughing. Then I got to the parking lot. There was a man walking to his car and he started pointing at my car and laughing and calling to his friend to look at my car. Then he gave me the 'okay' sign with his hand. It really is kind of embarassing. I don't tend to like having a lot of attention drawn to me and my flower covered car really does draw attention. At least the rain eventually stopped and most of the flowers blew off on my drive to Surrey and back that day.
I have noticed a couple of times lately how important different mannerisms are when talking to people. Last week one of the formen at work came to talk to me. But the whole time he was talking to me he was looking to the left of my face. I kept watching his eyes and waiting for him to make eye contact but he never did. It's not even that he was looking at the left side of my face which would at least be a bit better. At least then it could almost seem like he was looking at me and almost making eye contact but he was looking kind of past me and to the side. It was really distracting. It made it hard to talk to him because all that I could think of was how he wouldn't make eye contact. It seems strange to me that he would have a job as a forman and not be able to make eye contact when talking to someone.
Then, yesterday I was distracted by another strange mannerism. The lady that dropped off the cat food was really difficult for me to talk to. I noticed it on the phone at first but more so when she was here. She would ask me a question and about two words into my answer (ie. "Well I...") she would start to say 'right, right, yeah, okay, um, right, right...' It's like she was trying to sound like she was paying attention and agreeing with what I was saying and listening but she would start before there was even anything to be agreeing with. And how can she be listening when she's talking so much. Of course she's probably not even thinking about what she's saying and probably isn't really even fully aware that she does it. When I talked to her on the phone I actually stopped what I was saying because it was so strange. Then when she was here I kept thinking that she either knows what I'm going to say before I say it and so is agreeing ahead of time and so I don't really need to continue speaking. Or, she doesn't care what I'm saying and is speaking because she's bored and uninterested and so I should stop speaking. I almost felt like I should stop speaking too because she was interupting me and so I should let her speak and then continue my turn after her. Initially I would kind of peter off but then she of course would stop as well. There was nothing for her to agree to if I stopped talking. But later when she asked me something I kind of wanted to see if she would stop if I continued talking. She didn't she would just talk over what I was saying, agreeing with every word. I wonder if it's a nervous thing or if she does that all the time to everyone. I think that if I had a friend like that I would have to bring it to their attention. Not just because it's annoying but mostly because if she would stop it would surely improve her relations with everyone that she comes into contact with. I wonder how other people respond to her. Maybe they don't notice it as much as I did.
The Sun Run is this Sunday. I'm not at all ready for it. I was doing well for quite a while there. Then I got a tiny little cold and didn't run for a week, then two, then three. I think that I've ran twice in the last month. My last run was a short one doing hills. It's only the second time in many, many months that I've done any hills. Then my run before that one was only 7km on the flat and I was sore for two days! Not good. I have to run 10km with hills on Sunday. I'm going to die. Or maybe I just won't be able to walk for a few days next week. Oh well, maybe I'll learn for next year. Let's just hope that if I do the half marathon in June that I'll prepare a little more for that one.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home