Girl or Boy?
I often read the paper while I'm at work and today I came across an article that I found interesting. The entire article was interesting but there was one sentence in particular that stood out to me and made me shake my head. The article is about people being able to choose the gender of their babies. There are clinics in the U.S. that give people the option to choose whether they want a boy or girl. The process costs them $18000 US. It says that "the mother's eggs and the father's sperm are combined in a lab dish to fertilize the eggs and the gender of the resulting embryos are determined. Only embryos of the desired gender are implanted in the mother." Now I have heard of this before but I don't think that I really gave it much thought at the time. I can't say that I agree with the process or the ethics behind it but that's not actually what really grabbed my attention. It was this statement "We're trying to provide families with happy, healthy babies they are content with," that got me thinking. For one, how can they provide a happy baby? A healthy baby? I suppose they could abort anything that they found was unhealthy before birth (which they really don't seem opposed to). And really if the families are not going to be 'content' unless they have a specific gender maybe they shouldn't be having any more kids. Maybe they should be happy, not just content, with their baby no matter what the gender is.

1 Comments:
Kristy, This just makes me sick to my stomach. It used to bother me so much when I was pregnant and people would ask me "what are you hoping for? A boy or a girl?" I would just say " it doesn't matter as long as it's healthy" and hope that they realize how inappropriate that question is. Also, I have done ultrasounds on people who have wanted to know the gender and then actually told me what they wanted. This makes me furious. Does that mean that if your baby is born and it's not the gender you were "hoping for" that you are going to love it any less? You're right that if that's the case, they shouldn't be having children at all. The decision is up to God and everything happens for a reason. Nature is not meant to be tampered with... Period.
-Erin
Post a Comment
<< Home