Sunday, February 24, 2008

Evan riding Brig

 
 
 
 

Erin brought Evan out to see Brig today for the second time. As you can see he even sat on him. They were both really good about it. Brig behaved well and Evan really seemed to enjoy being up there. Almost as soon as we put him up there he reached forward and touched Brig on the withers. He didn't seem scared at all. When Brig shifted his weight or moved one step Evan did tighten his grip on my hand but it wasn't a fearful grip, just a wise one. Next we will have to move to the stall and get Brig to walk around while he's on him. With Brig being as unpredictable as he is at times I won't let Evan on him in the ring yet but the stall would be safe.

On Wednesday night at work I got my hand caught in a conveyor belt. I was picking up an open package and as I scooped the napkins up the conveyor caught the skin on my right hand. I felt it pulling my hand and I couldn't pull it free. Luckily the conveyor stop button was right beside me and I managed to hit the correct button on the first try. But my hand was still stuck. It had pulled all of the loose skin available on my hand between the belt and a piece of metal. I couldn't feel much of anything so I didn't know how much damage was done and how much more I would cause by pulling my hand free. There was no one around to help me and the other machines were still running. So I used both hands and pulled the skin back out. I was scared that it would rip the skin but I was lucky as it only broke the skin in one very small spot. My hand still felt numb but didn't look too bad. It was red and there was a long white line where the skin hand been folded in half and pinched the tightest. It started to swell immediately. The guy that I was working with came back after about a minute or two and I went down to first aid. My hand was swollen for a day and slightly bruised. Now it is just a bit red and kind of feels like I burnt it. Probably like carpet burn since the friction of the belt would have had a similar effect. I was lucky that it wasn't worse. It was a good wake up call as to how easily and quickly something can happen. I now turn off the conveyor before picking up any open packages.
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home