Monday, April 21, 2008

Alberta trip

I recently went back to Alberta for a trip. I rented a car and spent the first 4 days in the Red Deer area. I returned the car and then went to Three Hills for the next 8 days to visit Sara and her family. I had a really good trip. My first full day there felt like I had been away from home for a week already. It was great. I stayed with my friend Michelle in Red Deer. We spent our time swimming, going to the gym, watching movies, playing crib and playing Rock Band. I'm glad that I don't buy video games and stuff because I really could waste a lot of my life away if I did. I really enjoyed my time with Michelle. I also was able to see a lot of the horse people that I know in Alberta. I spent one day at a barn where I was able to ride horses and visit with people. It was a great day for me. I came away feeling wonderful and kind of filled in a way. I was able to ride one horse that I had started under saddle a few years ago, I also rode her daughter as well as another horse that I had known and worked with when it was only a yearling. The funny thing is that the one that I had the most fun with and felt the most comfortable on was the young one that didn't really know much of anything. It makes me think that maybe I should be looking for some young horses to start under saddle again as I really do enjoy it and find it extremely rewarding. I really miss the horse industry in the Red Deer area. I honestly love the people and the environment. I wish that I had that here but I still have not found my place. I am fairly happy with where Brig is at but I don't have the kind of connection in the horse industry here that I would love to have.
This first picture is of the car that I rented. It was nice. Nothing special but it drove smoothly and I had to be careful because it was easy to speed. It was nice to have the freedom that renting a car gave me. And yes it is snowing in the picture. It was cold and a bit snowy the first few days but the day I left it was sunny and +9C. And I never saw a drop of rain. I think that I was outside every day (except the day I had a headache) and it was never all that bad even though I didn't bring a lot of warm clothes. I did have to borrow a touque a couple times though.

 

These are just a few pictures of Sara and the kids and Nelson, their international student, with the horses. And yes Nelsons feet really are almost touching the ground when he's on the pony. I am always amused when I am around Sara and her horses. I tend to be a lot more cautious than she is. Nelson is riding Silky with nothing on her. No reins to control her, nothing. And he's only ridden a couple times ever. And yes, that is Sierra (almost 7yrs old) leading her 4yr old brother around with no tack and no lead rope. But I was very pleased to see that they had helmets on. I believe that I even had to say something out loud as I was taking the second picture of Sierra stopping Silky by using her body right in front of her and within kicking range of the pony. But nothing ever happens. I suppose I'm just used to horses that really are not as safe. It's probably good that I spent a day in Red Deer with the horses first because I found that even with them I was amazed at the lack of caution that people had to take. Brig has me trained so well that I am always on my guard and I no longer trust horses at all. I'm not scared, just really, really careful and a bit paranoid maybe.
Brig has actually been very well behave the past week. We had a couple of incidences after I got back but nothing lately. He still seems to limp at times but I'm just ignoring it for now. I think that I will look into getting some lessons on him soon.

 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

At 2008-05-14, 10:11 p.m., Blogger John and Sara said...

Finally I check your blog. great pictures!

And Evan looks so much like a little boy...not a toddler.

Hey, Nelson would really like the pics you took of him on the horse, any way you can send us your pictures from your visit here?

Hope you are well, we miss you already. (Silky has to get put down...probably be done on June 1st) :(

Love ya!

Sara

 

Post a Comment

<< Home