Nothing new except boring work stuff.
I worked an 8hr shift tonight and I really don't know why. They shut the machine that I was supposed to be on down for the night about a half hour after I arrived as it needs some repairs. The operator for that machine went home and I was sent to work with a different operator on another machine. But when he started up the second machine (he works on one and I work on the other) it needed some adjustments. The supervisor came by and told him not to bother running the second machine. So there were two of us there doing what one person would normally do. There are some times when it is helpful to have two people but most of the time one of us was just sitting there doing nothing. I didn't mind too much when it was the operator that was sitting doing nothing but I think that he was bored so he would tell me to take a break and I would then just sit there. I read my magazines and book but I feel kind of guilty when I'm really not doing anything at all. I almost wondered if I should go find the night supervisor and ask him if they really wanted me to stay. I hope that eventually they will train me on some machine that keeps me busy the whole time I'm working. I really do prefer it. The day goes by faster and I feel more useful. Last night at 11:45pm my phone rang. I ran to grab it and just before answering it occured to me that it was probably work so I let it ring and let the voice mail pick it up. Thank goodness I did. They wanted me to come in to work until 6:30am (I think). The job was one that I did once before and decided I would go crazy if I had to do that every day. It is the most boring job in the world. It requires no brain power and only one hand. As packages of toilet paper come past on the conveyer belt you flip them up onto their side. That is it, that's the job. 8hrs of flipping packages (well last night it would have been about 6hrs). Last time I read my book most of the evening. They have a chair there to sit in and a box to put your feet up. I'm sure that most people would think it sounds great but it's not my thing. 4hrs, sure no problem but much more than that is too much. When I got the message last night I knew that it would be torture to do that job on a night shift so I didn't call back to say that I would come in. I also was scheduled for my shift today starting at 2:30 so it wouldn't have given me much chance to sleep and I definitely wouldn't have had time to do anything else today.
Because one of my shifts was cancelled this past week I have been given lots of hours for the coming week. I work 44hrs total. But on Sunday I work 12hrs and will be paid time and a half because it is Sunday. So, that is nice. I was a little upset at first that I had to work Sunday because I would be missing my ball game but then tonight I found out that it has been cancelled anyway. So now I'm kind of glad that I'm working Sunday and will be making so much. I have two 12 hr night shifts this week and one 8hr day shift. I never look forward to the night shifts but I'm glad that there are only two this time. I can handle two of them.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home