Tuesday, July 11, 2006

BBQ & Glory House

I wanted to write about the events of my week in the order that they happened but I don't have time right now to upload photos and write all that I want to. So, I am skipping Sunday and writing about Monday and Tuesday right now. I will come back to Sunday hopefully tomorrow or later in the week.
My girls group gets together every other week to do a bible study. We just finished doing the book that I previously recommended 'Can You Hear Me?'. We always find that we don't have enough time to talk and to do prayer requests. We do our study and then we rush through our prayer requests and praise items so that we can get home before it's too late. So, we decided that for the summer we would take a break from any organized study and would just focus on spending time together talking and praying. Last night we went to one of the ladies houses and had a BBQ. I had a really great time. It was nice to go to Lilian's house to see where she lives and to meet her family. It gave us a chance to get to know her better. We also all had plenty of time to talk to each other and get to know each other even better than we already did. We didn't end up leaving a lot of time for prayer but still did a bit. I personally think that that's okay though. I am much more likely to pray for the other girls now after talking to them all last night and finding out more about them and their lives and where they are at on different things. Just knowing more about them makes it easier to pray for them and makes me want to as well. I am so thankful that I am part of the group and that I can know all of the girls that are in it. Whenever I spend time with them I leave feeling really good and I'm eager for the next time we can get together. For about two months I was working every time we were supposed to meet and I found that I really missed it. It's like I need the time with them. We are going to have another BBQ in two weeks. I sure hope that I won't have to work. If they keep me on the rotation that I'm on now I will have to work that night but hopefully they will move me to another rotation.
Work has been okay lately. I have been working with a lady a lot lately that I find very difficult to work with. Our personalities are very different and I have a lot of trouble being around this lady. It's been interesting though because I really don't like my attitude towards her but I'm not sure how I can change it. The book that I have been reading lately has 'coincidently' been touching on what my problem is. I'm still finding it very difficult but I know think that maybe the reason I am always stuck working with this same lady is because I really need to learn this lesson. And honestly, I hope that I do. It will be invaluable to me if I can really get it. I wish that I could go into more detail but I think that it might be too hard to explain on a blog.
Today at work I started training another new employee. Actually both me and another girl are training her. The foreman didn't designate for one of us to do it but asked each of us, so we are sharing it. I have decided that this is what I need. Responsibililty and purspose in my job. I feel a little bit proud that they think that I am good enough at my job and that I am capable of training someone else especially since I am so new myself. After talking to some of the other employees it sounds like this is unusual. It is always the senior employees that do the training. But I am happy to be trusted with this responsibility and I hope that I will be able to do a good job training.
Tonight I went with a group of girls from my church (most of them I met for the first time tonight) to Glory House. It is a recovery house (we just went to the women's part). We went and baked cookies (we brought all the supplies), played games, and some of the girls gave them pedicures, massages and even plucked eyebrows. I really enjoyed my time there. The women genuinely seemed to be glad that we came. It was neat to talk to them and learn a little bit about them and how they live. I didn't pry too much since it was the first time to meet the women but they seemed quite open to talk about themselves, what they've been through and where they are at right now. We are hoping to go back in one month to see them again. It will be nice to go back because now we know what to expect and we can think of specific things that they might want to do or want us to do as well as what we can bring them. The girls that I went with want me to teach them how to crochet so that we can all teach the women at the house. Again I really hope that I won't have to work on the night that they choose to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home