Monday, July 17, 2006

Evan's Baptism

Last Sunday (July 9) Evan got baptised. I went out to White Rock in the morning and went to mass with Brian, Erin, Evan and Brian's parents. After mass more family arrived and Evan was baptised along with 2 other babies. As you can see Evan was wearing a cute little white satin outfit. He looked adorable in it.
I don't think that I've ever been to a baby baptism before. The churches that I usually attend don't do infant baptism. They dedicate babies and then baptise people when they are older and have had a chance to choose whether they want to be baptised or not. When I was in bible college I wrote a paper on baptism. I had to compare infant baptism and adult baptism. Before writing the paper I agreed with my church that it should wait until the person is old enough to make a personal decision to follow God and to be baptised as a public declaration of their faith and as an act of obedience to God. But after researching and writing my paper I am not so sure. The arguments for both sides of the debate were excellent. I wish that I had my paper here now to look at again but it is in Alberta in storage. I think that now I would almost lean towards infant baptism. The book that I recently read, Can You Hear Me?, also helped me to think a little more this way. It did not talk about baptism but it did talk about children and their relationship with God. The author believes that when children are born they are able to communicate with God but that we often lose this ability as we get older. This is due to things that we experience, other people, what we are taught... Most children are not taught and encouraged to continue listening to God and expecting him to speak to them. Probably most christian parents would not think this but I don't think that we as adults always expect to hear from God and if we have trouble why would we think that kids could get it? I'm having trouble really explaining what I mean and I don't think that this is coming out quite right but hopefully some of you will understand. So, back to baptism. How are we to know when a child has made a decision to follow Christ? Do they have to be old enough to speak and tell you verbally? How do we decided when they are old enough to make such a decision. Plenty of children may choose to follow Christ at a young age only to leave that path later in life. So how do we know? Is it not maybe better to believe that they are born knowing God, hearing God, following God and to have the faith that they will continue. To encourage and teach them to continue following God. So, if that's the case shouldn't we then baptise as infants? It almost seems like a lack of faith not to. I don't know. I really could argue both sides even now. Good thing I don't have any kids of my own to decide what I should do. I may write more on this later as I have to go feed Brig now and can't figure out how to save this as a draft.

Evan, after everyone has left. I think he was glad to have some time on his own without people picking him up all the time. Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

At 2006-07-18, 11:30 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your thoughts on this were so interesting Kristy. I wonder if in the parent's eyes this is a way of protecting them. Good blog!

 
At 2006-07-18, 3:24 p.m., Blogger Amy said...

Good entry, Kristy. I agree that it is a tough call and both sides can be well argued. Since I was raised Catholic and baptised as an infant, and am now sort of a part of the Presbyterian Church which also baptises babies, I tend to lean more towards that side. I'm not against adult baptism - and have no problems with an adult being baptised after they were baptised as a baby - but I also see nothing wrong with baptising an infant. I kind of see it as a sign from the parents that they are committing this child to God and will raise him/her as a Christian. I guess you could argue that that's what a dedication is for, and I guess that would be right - and I have no arguement against that. I don't believe, however, as Catholics do, that if a baby dies without being baptised, it will go to hell. I'm sure God has a softer heart than that! Anyway, your comment about babies being able to communicate with God is interesting. I never really thought of that before, but I really like the idea. It is something Joe and I still have to discuss and agree on when it comes to us having kids (and he could argue much more theologically than I can!) but I think I will want to get my children baptised.
Sorry, that was kind of long.
Hope you're well!
A.

 
At 2006-07-20, 5:55 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kristy
While my grandkids were holidaying here from Arizona I observed their deep sense of love and faith in God. Daniel, 7 yrs old would bow his head in prayer at various times in his day. I have also heard Daniel and his 10 yr old sister discuss their faith with their 11 yr old neighbour who seems to have a rather sinical view about religion.
I say baptise the children.
-Bev

 

Post a Comment

<< Home