Update
Well, since my mom is tired of looking at my creepy fish I will post something new. Frank hasn't been trying to dry himself out much at all lately. He's been acting like a normal fish. The funny thing is that it makes me wonder if something is wrong with him. He used to be so active before and now he's not.
Brig is doing well. The vet came out a couple of weeks ago to look at him. He basically told me that Brig will need 6-12 months to heal. He is allowed in a small paddock during the day and in his stall at night. Most people would think that this is bad news. 6 months to a year is a long time to be feeding a horse that you can't ride or sell or do anything with. But I was really happy with all that the vet said. I knew right from the start that it would be a while before I could do anything with Brig. I didn't expect a year but I figured the minimum would be 3 months. So that part wasn't too upsetting. The thing that made me happy was that I no longer have to cold hose Brig's leg, or wrap it, or treat it in any way, and I don't have to attempt to handwalk a crazy horse who has been cooped up in a stall. All that I have to do is make sure that he is fed and has a clean stall every day. And if I want, I can pay someone to do that stuff. So basically the vet's advice gave me more freedom than I've had since moving out here with Brig. I love having a horse and I enjoy my time with him but sometimes I just want a break. It's really difficult when he is at a self-board barn and when I had to ride him regularly. Now it makes little difference whether I'm there or whether I pay someone to care for him. I can have a normal life. Yay! Brig's leg is looking quite good. I keep expecting it to get worse because he's so crazy and he's always trying to run around in his paddock. But so far it seems to be improving slightly. He's not sore at all and the swelling is mostly gone. The average person might not even notice it.
A few weeks ago I took Brig for a walk to give him some exercise and to get him out of his stall for a little break. He had been progressively getting worse every time I took him out but this day was really bad. As soon as we got into the arena he tried to take off. As he got his back legs near me he kicked out. He didn't get me but he probably could have if he'd really wanted to. I yanked his head around towards me. He then reared and started striking the air right in front of me as though he was trying to strike me. When he came down I hit him on the hind end with the whip that I had learned to carry at all times for such situations and I tried to keep him moving forward in a circle around me. But he's so strong that it was a struggle and really hard on my arms. So I stopped him, took him inside and grabbed his chain. He walked nicely after that. When I went to take him into the barn we came around the corner to find someone there. Brig went flying backwards and took my arm that was hanging onto the leadrope with him. I had a feeling at that point that I may be in pain for a while. My arms can't handle much and I've had to alter the way that I do many things over the years to minimize the degree and recurrance of pain. So things like this happening are not good. Sometimes I'm lucky and it doesn't cause a lot of problems but this time I wasn't so lucky. But I'll get to that later. After I got Brig into the barn I started to clean his stall. I always tie him up while I do this so that he doesn't get in my way and mostly so that he doesn't tip my wheelbarrow over or try to eat me. He's usually really good and stands where I put him. But this day he decided that he wanted to slam me into the wall and squish me. I saw his body coming towards me and I yelled at him and swung my arms at him but he was quick and he ended up hitting me and bumping me against the wall. Luckily he didn't continue trying to squish me. Of course the minute that I could I started hitting him with the handle of the pitchfork until he moved away from me. I continued cleaning his stall. After a while I decided that I should pet Brig and just spend some time being nice to him since I'd been getting mad at him so much that day (for good reason of course). So I started petting him and talking to him until he tried to bite me and then I hit him again. I couldn't believe it. What a bad horse. So that was it I pretty much ignored him after that. I took care of him and did everything that I had to do and then I left. I can understand that he was tired of being cooped up but that still doesn't mean that he can try to kill me. We had several incidences after this day as well but this was one of the worse ones. But he's happier now that he's allowed in the paddock during the day.
Later that night when I was eating I noticed that my hands were shaking. This isn't usual for me at all but I've been trying to figure out what it is that causes it. I thought that it was probably either a nervous/anxiety type thing or else it was just my injured arms. Well, this time I'm pretty sure that it was my injured arms that caused the shaking. The next day they were very painful and they were even worse the day after that. On the third day I had to go to work. I worked a half day (6hrs) and then went home and told them that I wouldn't be in the rest of the week. By the next week my arms were doing pretty good, so I went back to work. But I think that I should have taken one more week to let them really heal. It's been about a month now and they are still quite painful. But the doctor that I saw last week is sending me to a couple of neurologists. So that's good. Hopefully they will find something. I'm not too optomistic though since I saw a neurologist 9 years ago when my wrists first started bothering me. But maybe things will be different now.
I don't think that there is much else new with me. I'm still really enjoying living where I am. We need to get screens on the windows though. I really don't like the huge moths that are always coming into the house and scaring me. We've had a few mosquitos too. Bella is pretty good at catching all bugs and Winston likes to catch the moths. The cats are getting along quite well. They chase each other around a bit. Bella only hisses sometimes. Usually it's when Winston (aka. Big Boy, as he's 15.2 lbs) tackles her and knocks her over. I think that I'd hiss too. But he's just trying to play. Winston is not nearly so needy now that he has a friend. In a way it is nice because he's not always wanting my attention and meowing at me and stuff. But at the same time it's kind of sad that he doesn't follow me around like he used to. But I'm glad that he's happier now. He doesn't even seem to care that he can't go outside here. He loves to sit on the window sills and look outside. Since there are no screens he can stick his whole head out the window. I worry sometimes that he'll fall out. He is a bit clumsy sometimes. But so far he's been fine.

2 Comments:
Thanks Kristy. That's much better.
Kristy, Kristy. What's happening in your life????? We need new info!!!!!! Get another fish or something.
Post a Comment
<< Home