Sunday, April 23, 2006

Sun Run


Well, today I ran in the Vancouver Sun Run. They had a record number of 50700 people participating. This picture is from last year but it will give you an idea of how many people were really there. One of my friends told me that when I was going down the first little hill I should look ahead of me and then behind me to see all the people. It really was amazing that there were so many. I took the skytrain to Vancouver with my dad and another lady that works at Scott Paper. We met up with several other people from Scott Paper before the run as well. It was nice for me to be able to meet a few more people that I have seen and may see at work. We all started the race together but I was left behind within seconds. I am not sure yet what my actual time was that I finished in but my guess is about 1hr 4min. My fastest in the two 10km runs that I did last year was about 59min. So, this one was quite a bit slower but I also did not train nearly as much as I should have. While I was running I knew that I was not going to come in at a great time but my goal before I left was to run the whole thing without stopping. And I was successful at achieving my goal. I mentioned in a previous post that my feet and legs have been bothering me lately. I thought that the massage last week would help but it doesn't seem to have made much difference. I felt great on Thursday but before we left today my left foot was quite painful. It is probably plantar fasciitis. Within minutes of starting the run the sides of my calves and my right foot were quite sore and painful. But I knew that if I just kept going the pain would probably subside. It did improve a lot and it got so that it was just uncomfortable but not really a big deal. But after the run when I started walking my right foot was extremely painful, the left was just slightly painful (it was better than before the run). Every step was horrible for hours afterwards. I couldn't walk normal. At 3:30 I headed off to my ball game with my friend Jen (she also did the Sun Run today). I really wasn't looking forward to the game as it was so uncomfortable to stand and walk. I also had a headache and decided that I had better take an advil before leaving even though I hate taking drugs. By the time we had warmed up I was starting to feel a lot better and I actually really had fun at the game. I just realized now that the advil probably helped me with the pain in my feet as well as my head. We ended up tying with the other team. Our next game is in a week.

4 Comments:

At 2006-04-23, 11:55 p.m., Blogger Team McCropp said...

Congratulations on doing the Sun Run Kristy! Did you wear your new shoes? Maybe that contributed to your pain? Sounds like maybe you should see about getting some orthotics... now that you have benefits it might be worth your while. Well, good for you for finishing the run without stopping...I wish I had your energy.

 
At 2006-04-24, 8:06 a.m., Blogger John and Sara said...

Way to go Kristy! Wow, running for the lenght of time Sierra will watch a movie for...
amazing.

Anyhow, I had to take tylenol the other day for my own foot pain while I was building bins with John...not sure what the problem is.

Sierra is going to leave a note soon.

sara

 
At 2006-04-24, 11:49 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I figured out how to comment. Thanks. But I can't comment 'cause I just talked to you. Hmmmm. See you tomorrow.

 
At 2006-04-24, 8:40 p.m., Blogger Amy said...

Awesome. I can't believe you went a played baseball after running 10k. After I work out I just want to go to bed!
I look forward to hearing about your next run, whenever that may be!
A.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home